Honoring the Body Electric: are you electrohypersensitive?
You and I are electrical beings. I always intuitively knew this. However, it wasn’t until I went to chiropractic school, driving past overhead power lines, through rush hour traffic, and being surrounded by smart people with smart phones that I really got it. Our electromagnetic energy is life itself and our energy fields and nervous systems are constantly bombarded by potentially harmful electromagnetic fields (EMFs) created by these alternating currents. While all these mobile gadgets help us stay connected, they also literally disconnect us from our own bodies. EMFs drain the body’s complex communication device where cells “talk,” tissues “talk,” organs “talk,” and organisms “talk.”(1) If you’ve ever felt drained from hours on your cell phone or sending e-mails at your desk, remember, it may just be your body’s cells crying for a natural re-charge.
What happens when you are exposed to electromagnetic fields?
Exposure to electromagnetic fields is not a new phenomenon. However, during the 21st century, environmental exposure to man-made electromagnetic fields has been exponentially increasing as the demand for new electronics grows. Everyone is exposed to a complex mix of weak electric and magnetic fields, both at home and at work, from the generation and transmission of electricity, domestic appliances and industrial equipment, to telecommunications and broadcasting.(2) Electromagnetic fields have been shown to alter EEG signals, alter DNA synthesis, reduce melatonin synthesis, reduce immune response, alter enzyme activity, and influence the blood–brain barrier.
How You Can Protect Yourself
Fortunately, you are not completely helpless. There are strategies that can help reduce your exposure and protect you from this constant onslaught.
- Go outside and get grounded: For most of our evolutionary history, humans have had continuous contact with the Earth. It is only recently that substances such as rubber soles, asphalt, wood, rugs, and plastics have separated us from this contact. It is known that the Earth maintains a negative electrical potential on its surface. When you are in direct contact with the ground (walking, sitting, or laying down on the earth’s surface) the earth’s electrons are conducted to your body, bringing it to the same electrical potential as the earth. Living in direct contact with the earth grounds your body, inducing favorable physiological and electrophysiological changes that promote optimum health.(3)
- Heal your digestive system: Make sure you’re getting plenty of healthy probiotics and eating super-foods high in anti-oxidants. The Paracelsus Clinic in Switzerland discovered that symptoms of electrosensitivity can be reduced by providing gut barrier support. Superfoods can also buffer the intestinal lining and help decrease body inflammation.
- Detoxify: Not only are you dealing with increasing amounts of toxic chemicals in your environment, your body may also have increased amounts of heavy metals that may play a part in electrosensitivity. In addition, microorganisms in your body may respond to EMFs by generating increased levels of their own toxins. Work together with your natural health practitioner to conduct tissue mineral analyses and other lab tests to tailor your detoxification program.
- Beware of mold: Mold, just like other microorganisms, can also react in high EMF environments. One study showed 600 times more neurotoxins generated from mold in a high EMF environment. According to Camilla Rees of ElectromagneticHealth.org, there are mold legal cases being reviewed that question whether problems in buildings infested with mold may be related to nearby antenna infrastructure.
- Decrease the EMF clutter in your bedroom: A third of our lives are spent sleeping in the bedroom. So make it a place for deep recharge and rest. Use battery clocks near the bed. Turn off bedroom circuit breakers. Eliminate or shield your sleeping space from radio frequency (RF) signals from portable phones, cell phones, and wireless devices that interfere with the body’s immune system. Keep all electronics out of the bedroom.
- Magnetize!: A simple multi-polar magnet, no bigger than a credit card, or even hematite, energizes our energy field to protect us. Many times, it also relieves chronic and inflammatory pain.(4)
Patients often come to our office with chronically tight neck and back muscles, fatigue, headaches, etc. At Niu Health Chiropractic, we consider electromagnetic hypersensitivity, in addition to other interferences to health (structural, chemical/nutritional, neuroemotional, fascial) that may be the specific underlying cause of your health issue. Call (808) 783-1046 today or check out our website at niuhealthchiropractic.com, and find out the ways that you can increase your resilience – naturally.
Yours in health,
Dr. Christine T. Lipat, DC, Niu Health Chiropractic, Honolulu, HI
- Electromagnetic Fields: Hazardous to Our Health?
- Health Effects of Exposure to EMF’s: European Commission, Health and Consumer Protection. See also, the World Health OrganizationInternational EMF Project.
- For more studies of the benefit of “earth grounding” on your human physiology, see the compiled studies and research from the Earth Grounding Institute.
- A Critical Review of Randomized Controlled Trials of Static Magnets for Pain Relief. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, Vol 11 No 3, 2005.